Tuesday, July 3, 2007

On the Brink



Time for our June update!

Our toddler will be two but the tantrums have already started. Don’t get me wrong – she is a wonderful child especially around everyone but us. Since the ear tube surgery, Gretchen’s vocabulary has quadrupled. She is speaking in partial sentences; she is singing songs, it’s amazing. She has not, however, mastered answering questions. For example: Gretchen wants some Goldfish crackers. She goes to the counter and points to them. She will say “Goldfish” and “puhleeze” I give her the crackers but when she wants more, she refuses to say what she wants more of. “What do you want more of Gretchen?”; Answer: More, more. “More what?” Answer: Mommy? Mommy. Mommy! That’s her new favorite word. She says Mommy about 20 times an hour. Like it’s a question. Over and over again. Though she now says “What?” a lot because that’s what I say when she says Mommy.

Back to the tantrums: Gretchen has started throwing little fits when I want to change her diaper or stop her from pulling a piece of furniture on her self. Most of the time she can be distracted or consoled but sometimes accidents happen like a chipped tooth. It breaks my heart to see anything happen to my little baby so there is a little piece of me (very small) that is looking forward to when she can better articulate what she needs and wants. While it may not take away tantrums and disappointment, I would at least know what I’m saying no to.

Luckily, Gretchen is a happy child most of the time! Compared to last year, she is definitely enjoying the swimming pool. We started this season in a little round float with a basket seat for her but after a few days in that, Gretchen wanted her freedom. She doesn’t seem to show any fear of the water which is of course making me fearful. I bought her this little boat for the pool that she likes. However she likes jumping out of it too! I don’t mind holding her in the water though she spends half the time struggling to get out of my arms. The pool makes her tired and makes for a good nap afterwards…..for the entire house.

Next week is her 2nd birthday and we’re have a small party. I invited as many kids as I could think of – she likes being around other kids so it should be fun. Hopefully we don’t get rained on!

Have a great 4th of July holiday! Check out her June pictures and videos!

No comments: