Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Girl After My Own Heart

When I was a kid, I taught myself how to rollerskate at the Taste of Chicago on Navy Pier.  My dad worked at Chicago magazine which sponsored the event and was working the booth there.  I was bored hanging out with him so he gave me some money to go do something else.  I remember it fondly because I pretty much held the rail all the way around the rink.  I did this for four days and I was pretty good by the end.  Gretchen went skating for the first time with Girl Scouts.  I hadn't been on skates in about 12 years so it was an experience for me as well.  After a good crying fit, she gathered up her resolve and did what I did at her age: hung to the wall for dear life and kept going around and around the rink.  By the end of the afternoon, she was asking me when we can go back and skate some more.

No comments: